Friday, June 22, 2012

Marathon Essentials: Running Bras

Of all the gear needed for running, running bras are my least favorite.  I have yet to find one that I really like.  The ones I have now, well, I tolerate them.  I am not in need of anything major in this regard, so I suppose I should count myself lucky.  I do need support.  And comfort.  And a reasonable price.  Just why are undergarments so freakin' expensive?  And, it's not just women's undergarments that are pricey.  I checked the guy's stuff (not bras, obviously, the other stuff) and they are just as much.  I know this isn't reserved just for running gear.  In general, underwear and bras are expensive from the get-go. These bras are going to get worn out and sweaty day-in and day-out.  This item is worn closest to our hearts and if they don't let me down, I will cherish thee like my favorite blankie.

So I have researched bras for small-ish chested women and looked up the recommendations, but I couldn't bring myself to spend $40+ for one bra.  What if I like it and I have to get two more?  Really?  $120 for bras that I will only use for running?  I can't do it.  Have you tried on the bras that are "really" supportive?  They are so tight, you are lucky to get a full breath of oxygen, and you might get tangled up trying to maneuver into it (you might as well audition for Cirque du Soleil at the same time for all the contorting of your body you will need to do to get in and out of the thing!)  But I digress....
So while I have a few bras from Moving Comfort that are a year+ old (they are appropriately worn and getting greyish from all the washings), I replenished the supply with these colorful Champion ones from Target.  I think these were $15 a piece.  The wardrobe obviously needed a jolt of color and patterns.  These are not the epitome of form and function, but for the sweaty-Betty days coming, I think they will work.

If anyone knows THE place for reasonable and A+ running bras, let me know (and tell me what you like and why!).

Keep runnin' and keep the girls close.

No comments: