Friday, March 16, 2012

Log Off. Shut Down. Go Run.

It is a super-downer to be a runner and to be injured.  In the 2+ years I have been running, this hasn’t yet happened to me.  So I guess I am now truly a runner since I have finally been afflicted.  I have been out of commission of serious training for about three months.  I have half-heartedly tried to keep some level of running in the mix, but it doesn’t work with the dreaded plantar faciitis.  It makes me sad. 
I am definitely off on my endorphin levels.  I am making more of an effort to ice my foot more regularly (twice a day, at my desk, frozen water bottle!), try to stretch, and am trying to get the extra weight off that I have let myself put on while “resting the foot.” When the running waned, so did so much of my enthusiasm.  Oh jeez, what a lame excuse, right?  But I feel like I am seeing light at the end of the cliched tunnel, and am gearing up to get up and go again.
So, what I really feel like is….like I am starting all over again as a new runner.  Though I am not a new runner.  My head remembers what it’s like to be in better condition, and it remembers what it’s like to feel so AWESOME on a run.  Only my body doesn’t remember any of that.  My body is saying “Where have you been, woman? And why does your foot hurt?”  Oh, and it also says….”You CAN’T go this long without training, or else THIS will happen!  I am teetering on the edge of misery, defeat, self-pity, and anger!  ARGH!

So this is my parting message.....gotta go!

Motivation from the awesome Cami Ostman, author of: Second Wind: One Woman's Midlife Quest to Run Seven Marathons on Seven Continents (Seal Press).

No comments: